Clean Energy Organizer
Environment Maryland Research & Policy Center, a statewide non-partisan environmental advocacy organization, as part of a coalition seeking to advance a clean, healthy, and fair energy agenda, seeks a Clean Energy Organizer to help diversify and strengthen our coalition and help build a broader clean energy movement. He or she would be responsible for cultivating relationships with local groups and leaders, building a strong, educated, and committed base of citizen activists, and coordinating events for visibility, focusing on Prince George’s County.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Recruit local leaders and groups to expand and diversify coalition members.
- Identify, recruit, and manage volunteers to assist with the clean energy campaigns.
- Coordinate and manage all aspects of volunteer activities such as: phone banks, door to door canvassing, generating calls and letters to elected officials, on-line advocacy and “new media” outreach, generating letters to the editor, meetings with elected officials, and other community gatherings.
- Attend local events in the Prince George’s County region for volunteer recruitment and visibility, such as tabling at farmers markets, neighborhood festivals, and issues forums.
- Plan and coordinate events such as town hall meetings, trainings, press events, and meetings with legislators.
- Develop clear short-term and long-term workplans and track progress toward accomplishment of goals.
The following skills are required for the successful applicant:
- Strong outreach and public speaking skills.
- Strong time management skills and close attention to detail.
- 3-5 years experience (either paid or volunteer) working on issue or candidate campaigns.
- Ability to work independently.
The following skills and experience are preferred for the successful applicant:
- Experience with new media outreach.
- Strong writing skills.
- Experience with advocacy and environmental issues including energy issues.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Google Docs and database programs.
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits based on experience and leadership ability.
Position Requirements: This is a full time position based in Baltimore that will require some travel within the state. Evening and weekend hours are required to be successful.
Availability: We seek to have the successful candidate start by February 3, 2014.
To Apply: Electronic resume and cover letters preferred. Please submit resume and cover letter in Microsoft Word or PDF format to Joanna Diamond at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline is Friday, January 10, 2014. This position is funded until August 31, 2014. The position may or may not be extended based on available funding.
Environment Maryland Research & Policy Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer